In a case involving a patent covering high performance diodes (electronic components), Chief Judge Sleet construed the following terms:
– “semiconductor substrate of a first conductivity type”
– “on [the first substrate of] the substrate”
– “side regions”
– “channel region in the substrate below the first oxide layer under the side regions”
– “a buried layer of a second conductivity type under and between the side regions”
– “the substrate between the side regions”
Integrated Discrete Devices, LLC v. Diodes Incorporated, C.A. No. 08-888-GMS, Order Construing the Terms of U.S. Patent No. 5,825,079 (D. Del. May 26, 2010).
Of note was the Court’s comment that it “adopted the defendant’s proposed construction of [the term "semiconductor substrate of a first conductivity type"]…as a sanction for the plaintiff’s failure to follow its Markman procedures.” Id. at 1, n.1.